What is worth knowing
Deleting cache files is one of the important ways to clear the memory of a smartphone or computer. If someone sent you an image, video, text document or voice message, the information is automatically cached in a separate system folder on the device for further storage. The cache also accumulates clipboard data. If temporary files are not disposed of regularly, they can take up gigabytes of memory.
On mobile devices, the Viber cache can be quickly deleted specifically for this messenger only. On a computer running Windows or macOS, temporary files are easier to destroy in their entirety for all programs.
How to clear cache in Viber
On an Android smartphone
- Open the main “Settings” of the smartphone.
- Go to the “Applications” sub-item.
- Select Viber from the list of programs.
- Click on the clear button in the bottom menu and select Clear Cache.
- Confirm your action.
iOS does not allow the user to directly delete the cache – this usually happens automatically. But in some cases, it is necessary to clear temporary files manually if they take up too much space. To do this, go to Settings → General → iPhone Storage and find Viber in the list. Open the settings for the messenger and select “Download application”.
These actions will remove the program from the device’s memory, but the important files associated with it will remain in the system. The next time you start Viber, it will be installed again. And if the “Download unused” option is activated in the “iPhone Storage” section, then iOS will automatically clear the memory of rarely used applications.
You can also clear the cache in Viber on iPhone by simply deleting the messenger and reinstalling it from the AppStore.
How else to clear Viber from unnecessary files
Delete application files
To get rid of unwanted items in Viber, you can choose one of these options:
- If the “Save to Gallery” item is activated in the application settings on Android or iOS, then unnecessary files can be deleted directly from this folder. Just go to the gallery, select a Viber album and clear it of photos and videos.
- You can also delete documents from the Viber folder through the file explorer. The catalog must be in the smartphone’s memory if you have already downloaded something from chats. Inside will be Viber Images or Viber Videos. Destroy their contents to clear the memory.
If you do not turn off autoloading files in the settings, then new images and video files will accumulate and clog the device’s memory.
In Viber on a computer, folders with photos and videos can be found through the “Multimedia” section in the settings. In this menu, it is easy to change the file storage format, disable automatic downloads, and from here you can go to the directories with downloaded documents and clear them.
Clear message log
If you actively communicate with a large number of contacts, then you can clear both personal and group chatsto free up space in the gadget’s memory. Correspondence with a specific person is saved as a log of messages.
You can delete everything at once, but if you have important information, there is an option to selectively destroy only unnecessary letters:
- Sign in to Viber.
- Select the chat where you want to clear messages.
- In the window with correspondence, click on a specific entry and hold for a couple of seconds with your finger.
- A list of possible actions will appear.
- Click Remove.
- The program will offer you options: select “Delete from me” or “Delete from everyone”.
On the computer, the archive of existing chats Viber saves in separate folders that can be cleared:
- Windows – Users/account name/appdata/roaming/viberpc/phone number/viber.db
- macOS – Username/first/library/applicationsupport/viberpc/phone number/
Read also 🖋💬📱