What are passports
Now in Russia you can get a foreign passport of the old and new sample. They differ in several ways.
|Old passport||Passport of a new sample|
|Validity||5 years||10 years|
|Number of pages||36||46|
|Information about children||Specified in the document||Not specified, for children you need to make separate passports|
|State duty for citizens from 14 years old||2 000 rubles||5 000 rubles|
|State duty for citizens under 14 years old||1 000 rubles||2 500 rubles|
|biometric data||Not||Yes, a special chip is sewn into the passport|
A new document is more expensive, but it lasts longer. This is convenient when you have visas for more than five years. And the data chip allows you to go through border control faster: employees simply scan it, instead of entering information into the database.
It is worth issuing an old-style passport and saving money in several cases:
- You plan to make a passport through the nearest MFC. Most institutions do not issue new documents. An exception is if there are employees of the Ministry of Internal Affairs who provide this service in the premises of the MFC.
- In the near future you are going to change your surname or appearance.
- A passport is only needed for one or two trips.
- You are applying for a passport for a child. Children grow and change. A 10-year-old can’t travel with a photo of a baby in their papers, so they’ll have to be changed before the expiration date.
- You have many children and little money. Let’s say you are the parent of three daughters . They will simply enter their data into an old-style international passport and you will pay only 2,000 rubles for issuing your own document. New-style passports for everyone will already cost 12,500. Even if you issue old-style documents for children and pay 8,000 for everything, the difference is still noticeable.
- You want to get your passport faster. A ready-made old-style document can be issued to you on the day of your visit to the Ministry of Internal Affairs. But only if you’re lucky: the speed of registration depends on the workload of specialists. For the MFC, add the paper transport time.
If you apply for a passport through the “Gosuslugi”, the state duty will be 30% less.
What documents are needed to apply for a passport
You must provide:
- application for the issuance of a foreign passport;
- passport of a citizen of the Russian Federation;
- an existing passport, if it has not expired;
- photographs (35 × 45 mm, the face occupies 70–80% of the image, a light contrasting background), two for a new passport, three for an old one; if you apply through the “Gosuslugi”, then one for an old-style document.
The photo, which will be in the new sample booklet, will be taken by employees of the Ministry of Internal Affairs when receiving documents. They will also take fingerprints.
When submitting documents, it is better to have copies of them with you, moreover, all pages, and not just completed ones.
You may also need:
- permission from the command, if you are a soldier;
- military ID, if any;
- certificate of change of surname, name or patronymic, if you have new data.
Those who have lost their previous passport will have to attach a free-form application declaring the document invalid. Indicate in it your full name, date and place of birth, place of registration, date, place and circumstances of the loss and, if you remember, the series and number of the passport.
A receipt for payment of the state duty and a certificate from the military registration and enlistment office confirming that you were not called up for military service , you can not provide.
This data should be obtained by the Migration Department of the Ministry of Internal Affairs through internal channels. However, if you have a receipt or certificate, bring them. This can make it easier to interact with agency staff.
The state duty does not need to be paid to residents of the Kaliningrad region , as well as Crimea and Sevastopol , if they already have a Ukrainian passport and they are applying for a similar document in the Russian Federation for the first time.
How to apply for a passport
How to apply for a passport through “Gosuslugi”
This is the easiest and fastest way to apply for a passport. But you need to have an account on the portal gosuslugi.ru. If it is, you are only a few steps away from applying.
1. Select a service from the list. First, find the “Passports, registration” tab.
2. Select the option “International passport of a citizen of the Russian Federation”.
3. Next, you will be shown instructions. Read it and click the “Start” button.
4. Choose which passport you want to get – old or new.
5. Choose for whom you want to get a passport. You can issue it for yourself, a child (more on documents for children below) or a person you are guardian of.
6. Specify whether you will receive the document at the place of registration or not.
7. Complete the application. Personal and passport data will be inserted automatically. You will need to indicate the place of birth, address of registration and actual residence.
8. Upload a photo. It does not have to be done in a photo studio, an image taken with a phone camera will do. But it is important to comply with the requirements of the portal:
- The file format is JPEG , PNG, BMP.
- The maximum size of an attached picture is 5 MB, the minimum is 10 KB.
- The minimum photo resolution is 450 DPI.
These photos are needed for the application, but they should look like a passport.
9. Enter activity data for the last 10 years following the instructions on the site. Fill in the columns in accordance with the entries in the work book, all places of work must be documented. If the break between different organizations was more than a month, write “Did not work (a)”, do not leave a void.
10. Indicate if the name, surname or patronymic was changed . If yes, please enter your previous information.
11. Indicate whether you have a valid passport and whether you want to surrender it or get a new one in addition. You will also have to enter the data of an existing document.
12. Answer the block of questions directly related to permission to travel abroad :
- Did you have access to sensitive or top secret information?
- Do you have contractual, contractual obligations that prevent you from going abroad?
- Do you evade the fulfillment of obligations imposed by the court?
- Have you been convicted of a crime?
- Have you been charged as a defendant?
13. Indicate why you are receiving a passport:
- this is your first passport;
- instead of used/lost;
- to replace what was lost.
14. Select the branch nearest to you for submission of documents.
15. Submit your application.
If you did something wrong, the application will return to you with an indication of the errors. The system will save it as drafts, so you don’t have to fill out the questionnaire again. Just fix the bugs.
The draft can be found by clicking on the “Statements” tab.
A correctly completed application will be accepted by the migration department of the local Main Directorate of the Ministry of Internal Affairs. A little later, you will receive a letter indicating when, what time and with what documents you will have to appear at the department. If you fail to arrive on time, you have six months to apply for this application on a first-come, first-served basis.
Before visiting the office, do not forget to pay the state duty. When your application is considered, a payment receipt form will be sent to the personal account of the State Services.
How to apply for a passport through the MFC
1. Find your nearest multifunctional center on the My Documents website.
2. Make an appointment by phone to avoid standing in line. Well, or immediately go to the MFC, but then you have to wait.
3. Fill out an application for an old or new generation passport in two copies. Use block letters, avoid typos and blots, they should not be. As a sample, use the instructions for filling out an application for “Gosuslug” (see above). Attach a package of documents to the papers, two (for a new sample) or three (for an old one) photographs.
4. Pay the state duty. Details can be found on the website of the Main Directorate of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of your region or among the migration services of the Ministry of Internal Affairs.
5. With a package of documents, contact the MFC.
How to apply for a passport through the Ministry of Internal Affairs
You can submit documents directly to the Migration Department of the Ministry of Internal Affairs.
1. Find on the website of the territorial department of the Ministry of Internal Affairs the address of the nearest department where documents for a foreign passport are accepted.
2. Fill out an application for an old or new passport, take the necessary documents and their copies, two or three photographs.
3. Pay the state duty.
4. Contact the selected department of the Ministry of Internal Affairs.
How to apply for a passport through a diplomatic mission
If you are in another country when your passport has expired, a new document will be issued to you at the diplomatic mission.
The package of documents is still the same, but instead of the state duty, you will need to pay a consular fee – $ 30 for an old-style passport and $ 80 for a new one.
Why the application may not be accepted
The most common reasons for rejection:
- the application is filled out illegibly, not all data are indicated;
- you did not bring all the documents;
- you could not come in person and tried to apply through a representative (does not apply to “Gosuslugi”);
- any document has expired;
- photo requirements not met.
How much is a passport
According to the law, the issuance of a passport will take:
- no more than a month if you applied for it at the place of registration;
- no more than three months if you receive it at the place of residence or through a diplomatic mission, and also if you had access to state secrets.
You can reduce this time to three days if you confirm that you need emergency treatment abroad or your close relative is seriously ill or has died there.
How to find out if you can get a passport
When the document is ready, you will receive an SMS or an email. In addition, you can check whether you have made a passport on the website of the Ministry of Internal Affairs .
A passport may not be issued at all.
Lifehacker has already written who is most likely not to receive a document.
How and why to get a second passport
You can get a second passport in addition to the first one. This is necessary if:
- you are traveling abroad, but the existing passport has already been given to the consulate for a visa;
- you are trying to get two visas at the same time;
- you want to travel freely in countries that have a negative attitude towards stamps of states unfriendly to them (Israel and Arab countries, Armenia and Azerbaijan);
- the old passport has open visas, but has run out of blank pages.
The second passport can only be a new sample. To receive a document, when you indicate that you already have a passport, indicate that you will not bring it for cancellation.
How to get a passport for a child
The algorithm for obtaining a passport for a minor is the same as for you, only you or any other legal representative of the child must apply. Fill it out on the “Public Services” or on the form .
The package of documents includes:
- birth certificate with a stamp or an insert about citizenship or a passport of a citizen of the Russian Federation ;
- parent’s passport
- a document confirming the relationship of the child with the applicant (the same birth certificate or act of the guardianship authority);
The child must be indicated as the payer of the state duty in the receipt.
The questionnaire on “Public Services” is filled out from the parent’s account. On the form and in the finished passport, a child from 14 to 18 years old signs himself, but only in the presence of a legal representative. For children under 14, parents do everything.
How to enter a child in an old-style passport
If you are just getting a passport, please include the details of the children on the application. For example, on “Gosuslugi” a special block looks like this:
If you already have a passport, contact the MFC or the Migration Department of the Ministry of Internal Affairs. You need to bring with you:
- internal passport ;
- international passport;
- birth certificate of a child with a stamp or citizenship insert;
- three photographs of the child;
- receipt of payment of the state duty “Introduction of amendments to the passport proving the identity of a citizen of the Russian Federation outside the territory of the Russian Federation”, its amount is 500 rubles.
This article was first published in November 2018. In September 2022, we updated the text.
Read also 🧐